Sunday, October 26, 2008

Planet Jump and others

We took Kate to Planet Jump again yesterday - she just loves it. This time I went on most of the inflatables with her - it was fun! Had something out of the ordinary happen. I took Kate to the bathroom to wash her hands. First thing I noticed was it smelled horrible. There were 2 little girls in there - apparently related. One girl (turns out she is 4) was crying with her stall door partially open and was the source of the smell. Turns out she didn't quite make it and had pooped her pants. She was a mess - tears running down her face, nose running, and pants full of poop around her ankles. She was beside herself and didn't know what to do. I quickly got Kate out to her dad and went to talk to the girl and her sister/cousin (?). Told the other girl to go get her mom right away - she says "My mom isn't here. She is with her grandpa." Grandpa comes to the door of ladies room. I tell him it is ok to come in - no one else is in here. He tells her it is ok and that she is not in trouble. (I would certainly hope not - I always cringe when I find out people yell or punish their kids for potty accidents.) I hated to just leave her - it was apparent Grandpa was unprepared for such things. He had no wipes or clean clothes. I thought for a moment and remembered I had spare clothes for Kate in the trunk of the car. Since the girl was 4 and Kate's clothes were 2T, I wasn't sure it would fit but I figured tight, clean underwear and shorts was better than nothing. So I sent Todd to the car for the clothes and went back to the ladies room. By this time, the Grandpa had her up on the changing table (she had poop all up and down her legs). He had washed her pants out in the sink and wiped her down with paper towels. I offered the clothes but said I wasn't sure they would fit. He said "well, she is small for her age. I think they will." Sure enough, the underwear and shorts fit her. He asked for my name and/or a way to return the items. I said "Don't bother. It is no big deal. Just keep them." Truthfully, the shorts were $4 at Target and too small for Kate anyway and what is one pair of underwear. I thought about that little girl all day yesterday - I just felt so bad for her. She didn't look particularly well cared for anyway - her shirt was stained and her hair looked unwashed and uncombed. Who knows - maybe I was reading more into it than was there. I was just glad I was able to help - the Grandpa was going to put wet pants with no underwear back on her. He must have thanked me 4 times before they left, which was right after this incident (as I am sure you can imagine). Something about the whole situation made me sad - can't really say why. However, I have to say of all the donations (mostly cash) I've given to worthy cause over the years, nothing made me feel as satisfied as helping that little girl with $5 worth of clothes. Probably sounds silly, I know.

Different note, Kate woke up sick this morning and was feeling particularly bad by bathtime. Her fever was 102.8 so we gave her Motrin plus cold medicine. She went right to sleep. I know she will be disappointed if she can't go to school tomorrow. This morning she told us at breakfast "I want to go to school." We went to church and she was happy with that - she loves the Sunday school teacher.

No comments: