Today I went for my first visit to Dr. Holly. She is not a MD but a DOM, Doctor of Oriental Medicine. She takes a holistic, non-drug approach to health issues. She treats with herbal remedies and acupuncture plus diet modifications when necessary. The visit was 2 hours - it was amazing. I've never had a MD ask so many questions or take such a thorough medical history. She really probes and asks follow up questions. She took tons of notes.
Thankfully she says my case seems fairly cut and dry. My symptoms all point towards two main issues - Candida and liver/gallbladder dysfunction. She feels with some herbal treatments, acupuncture if I want to continue, and small changes to my diet, she can bring me relief from my headaches, neck pain, and sinus issues. I am very excited about the possibility of a pain-free life.
It is hard to describe how my life is with almost constant pain. To wake up in the morning with a headache, or sore throat, or sinuses that feel like they are being pounded, does not make for a great start to your day. It affects my mood and my ability to work efficiently.
In the state of FL, she qualifies as a primary care physician, so I am hopeful some of the cost will be covered by my health insurance. I would like her to see Kate, and eventually Todd, too. She has patients of all ages and with all types of conditions she helps with.
One thing she told me that was very interesting is the deal with antibiotics. I don't take them often and Kate has had them only 3 times but apparently that is too much. Because antibiotics kill off everything - bad bacteria and good bacteria - it actually makes you more susceptible to more illness. It can become a vicious cycle of sick, drugs, sick, drugs.
I go back to see her on the 26th. Between now and then, she asked me to monitor my sugar and dairy intake. She also, for Kate's sake, suggested we go back to hormone-free (organic) cheese and meats. I know they are more expensive but it is important so we will find a way.
This one
15 years ago
1 comment:
Drug companies and doctors get you on the "come back" what is in it for the drug companies if they actually cure something... or use something natural that doesn't cost 75 bucks a pill grown in a lab dish. It's like Drug dealers are legal dealers...Then they bribe doctors with incentives to push the brand. I know that sounds sooooooo negitive, but it's true. Not all doctors are bad, and not all medications are bad, but we need to look into other things like you are. I had migrains my whole life till I heard that it could be my diet. I stay away from foods I am allergic to physically (Citrus, and aged items like wine and good cheeses).
Post a Comment